Page Three
The Torino comes home...
"Excited" doesn't begin to describe the moment!
There we are...

Honestly, it still doesn't seem real to me... that she's really MINE! 

I knew Jay loved me, but to set aside the restoration of his own dream vehicle to make mine happen first? 

It must be love...
Remember?
You've come along way, baby!
As probably anyone who has restored their dream car will tell you, it takes a lot more time, effort, passion, patience, elbow grease, and money than they originally anticipated.  But hey!  You'd be surprised how many tasty dishes you can make from Ramon noodles.

They'll also tell you that it was worth every penny, every banged up knee, every consumed weekend...
While Art was painting the car, Jay and I (okay, mostly Jay) worked on repairing and restoring the interior. 

I did, however, became quite adept at wet sanding trim.  My lack of fingernails for a month can prove it.  The car is an  interesting and ecclectic combination of restored original, NOS (new old stock), and reporduction pieces and parts.  I never needed the car to be a "show car" level restoration--I just wanted to have fun with it, and that's what we've got.
The Dashboard
Repaired and primed.
Nope, that's NOT part of the Batmobile
That nasty looking thing is the top of the dashboard! 
Notice the cracks and wear that needed to be repaired.
And here's where it's headed, eventually!
Looks like a bomb went off.

Hmmm...what episodes would that be?
The Headliner
Insulating the ceiling and adding the reproduction headliner.
Before...
...and after!
The Carpet
There you have it--our blob of new carpeting!  I ended up buying a steamer to help in getting the seams out from where it was folded up for shipping.
Jay first laid out insulation / carpet pad. 
This also acts as a sound barrier from road noise, as well as controlling temperature. 
What a difference just getting the carpet down made!
You can also see the back rest of the bench seat was cleaned up and put in the back.
At this point, I'd like to make a comment to any of my dear, dear friends who might wish to reinact any particular "Hutch moments" by tossing a used yogurt container or crumpled up coffee cup in the back of this car: 
Don't.
I will then have to have a "Starsky moment" and thump you upside the head with the radio mic. 
Okay, so maybe Starsky never did that in the series.  But he
should have.
The Seats and Interior Doors
Here's what the back bench seat and door panels looked like when we stripped the car down.  May I just say "ewh"?
We ordered reproduction door panels from "Dearborn Classics." 

Oh, my word--getting their "Torino and Fairlane" catalogue was like getting Montgomery Ward's Christmas catalogue when I was a kid!
The panels basically came as vinyl "skins." 
Jay used the original door panel frames to add new  padding to, then attached the window seal along the top. 
Similarly, here I had to recreate the side panels that attached to the interior wall which stretches between the back seat and the roof.  First, padding was attached with spray adhesive (that sprays everywhere) to a recreated panel.
The vinyl skin was then stretched over the framework and wrapped around the back (cutting the skin to make the corners lay right was a chore), then attached with that incredibly messy and sticky spray adhesive. I think my fingers were stuck together at least four times.
There were cracks in the back of the front bucket seats that needed to be mended, and the leather reconditioned.  I spent several hours using a razor to "shave the fuzzies" caused by rubbing and wear off the seatbealts, then used a black spray dye where they'd faded to grey from exposure to the sun.
The refinished gear shift.  It's a racing-style one that will take me some getting used to, since you have to grip, lift, and basically shove it into place.
 
Jay instructed me to "shift it like I mean it!
"
The Trunk
Sure, we had to make sure the trunk looked good, too!  You never know when the bad guys are going to stuff you in there for a while, so they might as well ride in comfort. 
Jay used a grinder to get most of the leftover carpet glue and general junk out first, sanded it down, then primed.
Masked off for the black base paint...
...and finished with spackle paint.
Jay applied an authentic Ford spare tire / jack instruction labels to complete the trunk.
Click here to go to Page Four